Friday 30 September 2016

A Study in Scarlet... and Bordeaux... and Whatever...

The autumn is officially here and I have a new wall hanging to create the seasonal mood.

hand dyed fabric quilt

This very simple piece (a study rather than a proper picture)))) started with three pieces of ice-dyed fabrics from the IPS Eastern branch workshop I took part in. They looked like they came from an autumn landscape all along, but they spent quite some time on my design wall before I saw what exactly was in them - leaves of a bush that I think is called "burning bush" (not that the exact species really matters)))

hand dyed fabric quilt


hand dyed fabric quilt

This is the only in-process photo I have. Wonder if anyone else can see the bush? (tip: it's actually marked with a blue marker here) I wanted the fabrics to star in this show, so I quilted the branches and some "focus" leaves in a black topstitch thread and then added some very simple "organic" quilting with beautiful variegated YLI threads I got from Wendy of Fabric Matters. The branches and "main" leaves were then touched up with fabric crayons to bring them out more.

machine quilting threads

hand dyed fabric quilt

hand dyed fabric quilt
Love the little patch of "sunshine" in the top )))

hand dyed fabric quilt

I'm still not sure about that quilting - probably I should have done something more interesting. I chose a really beautiful batik for the side panels (so beautiful in fact, I fear it steals the show) and quilted them with a simple free-hand leaf motif (that is only visible with a side lighting).


hand dyed fabric quilt

Here is a full view with sidelong sunlight for texture.

On the whole, this piece took longer to plan than to make (hiding the ends of the topstitch thread was the longest production stage))), but it's all about the mood I think.

hand dyed fabric quilt

Linking up to Off the Wall Friday at Creations by Nina-Marie
Free Motion Mavericks at Lizzie Lenard Vintage Sewing
Finished or not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
СохранитьСохранить

7 comments:

  1. This is super super fabulous! I love the way you turned the three dyed pieces into a landscape- it's so fitting, and I love the light look formed with your quilting. Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the quilting is perfect. I like the way the quilting line reinforces the leaf shape. The darker thread around certain leaves is so effective. Great piece!!
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thar's an interresting piece! At first, I thought that the leaves were appliqués. 🙂 Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great piece, I have to start training my brain to see things like you do. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! The quilting is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Olena,
    Truly gorgeous!
    Thank you so much for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks. Your quilt is featured on my blog this week.
    Interesting that you get on well with that thread. My machines hate it. Shame, really. I have a part used reel in colours very close to the dark reds in your quilt. If you want to finish up the thread, let me know and I'll post it to you.
    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...